Upping your water intake may seem easy. Yet many of us aren’t coming close to getting enough water: 2.7 liters per day for women and 3.7 liters for men.
Reiland offers these tips for upping your water game:
- Flavor it — Add fruit to your water. Lemons, limes and oranges are tried and true. Cucumber, watermelon, strawberries and herbs also are delicious options.
- Tie it into a routine — Drink a glass of water every time you brush your teeth, eat a meal or use the bathroom.
- Eat it — Many fruits and vegetables have a high water content, including melon, cucumbers, lettuce and celery.
- Track it — Invest in a high-tech bottle that connects to your smartphone and records how much you drink. Or track your intake in your calendar.
- Challenge a friend —Kick off a healthy competition with a friend or your kids to see who can meet their guzzling goal most often.
- Take it to go — It can be challenging to drink enough water when you are on the go. Fill your water bottle before you leave home, and bring it along on your daily travels.
- Alternate your drinks — If you can’t give up soda or juice completely just yet, try alternating it with water. Each time you finish a glass of water, switch to soda or juice and vice versa.