Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is one of the healing tools available as part of Wound Care services at Mayo Clinic Health System in Albert Lea. Treatment takes place in Hyperbaric Chambers, which are non-invasive, clear acrylic chambers that provide 100% oxygen to promote optimum healing opportunity. Breathing pure oxygen saturates blood plasma, which carries 20 - 30 times the normal amount of oxygen to body tissue, allowing the body's natural wound healing mechanism to function more efficiently.
Conditions that may benefit from Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy include:
- Diabetic wounds of the lower extremities
- Wounds that have not healed in several weeks
- Post-radiation tissue injuries
- Diabetes-related foot and ankle ulcers
- Wounds caused by poor circulation or trauma
- Pressure ulcers
Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine are located on the lower level of the clinic.