Seeking Help

Question: I am trying to find resources and information on how to help a family member with an alcohol or drug problem. Where or how do I start?

Answer: A great place to start is on our “Resources” tab.  This provides you with information about how to talk with your family member about the issue at hand and how to access services. Here are some other quick steps to review as you consider how to help:

1. First, are you concerned about your family member’s safety?

  • Get them to your local emergency department for evaluation. Once there, the emergency department staff will determine the best course of action. Suicidal gestures are nothing to take lightly. If your family member is identifying any signs of suicide, get them evaluated as soon as possible.
  • Contact your local law enforcement and they can perform what’s called a “welfare check.” This involves them checking on your family member to inquire about their safety.
  • If there are concerns about withdrawal, contact Fountain Centers in Albert Lea at 1-800-533-1616 and we can help identify the appropriate level of care for your family member to withdraw safely. Our sub-acute detox unit and residential treatment programs help address withdrawal symptoms.

2. Second, a meeting with a Fountain Centers counselor can help sort out where to start. Contact the Fountain Centers location nearest you (link to outpatient services) and set-up a meeting for a “consultation.” During this time, the counselor will ask about your concerns, how long you have had these concerns, whether your family member is safe and where they are at with the idea of change.

Accessing services at Fountain Centers is a simple process, but may involve some time and work on our end to ensure the appropriate level of care is identified for your family member. Setting up an appointment for a “chemical use assessment” for your loved one is the best way to determine this. For more information about “assessments and screenings” and the best way to access care at Fountain Centers.

This process can be even more difficult for the family to go through. Making sure you have the support you need during this difficult time is important. Self-help support groups such as Al-Anon are designed to support you through these critical times. You can also contact any of the Fountain Centers locations or call 1-800-533-1616 and our staff would be happy to walk you through the steps necessary to help your family member. Remember, you are not alone and there is help available.

Question: What do we have to do to get someone into your program?

Answer: Fountain Centers offers numerous programs in the continuum of care. We will want to determine what the individual’s needs are in order to match the appropriate program and get them the help they need. A screening may be a place to start if they have not been involved in any type of care for their chemical use issues. Before accessing any type of program, a chemical use assessment will need to be completed in order to determine the best level of care. Contact any of our Fountain Centers locations to make an appointment. If a chemical use assessment has already been completed and a recommendation for a particular level of care made, contact the appropriate Fountain Centers location for admission.  For residential admissions contact our Albert Lea site at 507-377-6411 or 1-800-533-1616 and you will be directed to our admissions counselors. Being prepared with a copy of the chemical use assessment, your insurance card and basic information about the individual seeking admission is helpful to have as you make this call.

Question: Do you offer interventions?

Answer: We do not offer formal intervention services. However, our counseling staff would be happy to walk you through the resources available to help intervene.

Question: Can you arrange a ride to detox or treatment?

Answer: Our staff can provide information on transportation resources that are available to access services at Fountain Centers detox and residential treatment programming, however, we only provide rides from hospitals and law enforcement centers as prearranged by staff at those locations. We are not able to provide transportation to outpatient services such as the educational programming, chemical use assessments and intensive outpatient treatment. In this case, we would be happy to review the resources available in the community for transportation.

Question: What type of classes do you offer in order to get my driver’s license back?

Answer: Following the recommendations identified by the Department of Public Safety is the best way to re-validate your driver’s license. The programs we offer at Fountain Centers range from a 4-hour chemical awareness class, a 12-hour substance abuse class (available in limited locations) to intensive outpatient and residential treatment services.