BARRON, Wis. — Construction began in July on two projects at Mayo Clinic Health System – Northland in Barron, including a new Family Birth Center and expanded pharmacy.
The $990,000 birth center project will cover 5,277 square feet and include four new rooms for moms and their families. It will offer increased space, and will provide a calm environment and new efficiencies for staff and patients.
Features of the new Family Birth Center include:
- Four spacious labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum rooms, so moms stay in the same room for their entire experience
- Convertible couches in each room for a support person to spend the night, a whirlpool tub and shower, and an infant assessment and resuscitation area
- A large nursery for newborns who need special attention or close monitoring
- A family waiting room with comfortable seating and large windows
- A locked unit with an infant security system
- Several pain management options, including epidurals, nitrous oxygen (laughing gas) and supportive natural comfort measures
- Teleneonatology services, so neonatal providers can consult by video directly with a neonatologist at Mayo Clinic in Rochester
- A consultation room for education before and after delivery, and for follow-up with nurses
- Environmentally friendly building finishes
- Energy efficiencies, including a comfort-controlled ventilation and filtration system
"We are excited to provide a new birthing facility with more spacious birthing suites, comfortable family areas and state-of-the-art equipment designed to provide all of the comforts, close to home," says Angela Eberhart, operations administrator for OB-GYN. "Also, with advancements in teleneonatology, our providers have access to direct consultation by video with neonatology specialists at Mayo Clinic's Rochester campus should a need arise. New moms can be assured that they and their babies will receive the level of care they need when they need it."
The new Family Birth Center is scheduled to be completed by early 2020.
The $1.7 million, 2,705-square-foot pharmacy addition will include a new retail pharmacy and over-the-counter retail products, as well as an expanded inpatient pharmacy to meet the needs of patients. The new pharmacy also will have additional workspace for staff and a private consult area for patients. The new addition is located off the main entrance lobby.
"We are expanding pharmacy services in Barron to better serve our patients’ needs," says Jordan Dow, regional pharmacy director. "We believe the pharmacy team is positioned to serve our patients well with a tremendous new location, access to our patients’ medical records and close working relationships with our Mayo Clinic Health System providers."
The pharmacy addition is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2019.
# # #
Press ContactDan Lea