Related Upcoming Classes & Events View More
Breast-feeding and Newborn CareFairmont, MN
Breast-feeding Your BabyNew Prague, MN
Mayo Clinic Health System offers breast-feeding and other prenatal education classes. See the calendar above for upcoming classes.
Supporting your choice
Breast-feeding can be a satisfying way to nourish and nurture your baby. Every woman has the physical capacity to provide breast milk for her baby. Optimal benefits for mother and baby are attained if breast-feeding continues through the first year of life.
The providers and nurses who care for you offer a professional, knowledgeable and supportive approach to enhance your breast-feeding experience.
- Support and guidance for breast-feeding mothers with premature infants.
- Collaboration with international board-certified lactation consultants (IBCLC), certified lactation counselors (CLC) and other health care professionals to address breast-feeding difficulties.
- Telephone consultation and support after hospital discharge.
- Information on breast pump rentals and breast-feeding accessories.
What specific lactation/breast-feeding concerns should I discuss with my nurses and providers?
- Feelings, concerns and expectations about breast-feeding your baby
- Positioning and latching technique
- Prevention and care of sore nipples
- Milk production (too much or too little)
- Sucking difficulties
- Family involvement (fathers, siblings, grandparents)
- Breast-feeding and baby's temperament
- Slow weight gain
- Jaundiced infants
- Feeding twins/triplets
- Managing breast-feeding when mother and baby are separated (vacation, employment, school, hospitalization, etc.)
- Nutritional considerations during breast-feeding
- Breast-feeding your baby with special medical problems
- Pumping, storing and transporting milk
- Baby's refusal to breast-feed
- Introducing the bottle
At times, questions or problems arise and a phone call is just not enough. Actual observation of breast-feeding may be necessary to assist in solving the concern. Outpatient services are by appointment only. For more information or to schedule a consult, call 507-594-2967.
Mayo Clinic Health System is dedicated to helping you and your family achieve the best possible breast-feeding experience. For an outpatient or telephone consultation, call 507-594-2967.