Physical therapists help you set up individualized treatment programs aimed at helping you attain independence, enhancing your quality of life, and maximizing your function after an amputation.
Physical therapists work in coordination with your primary orthopedic specialist and prosthetist in order to fit and train you in the correct use and care of prosthetics.
Education will be provided to you on positioning. You will also be taught exercises that will help you ensure proper motion. The exercises will also help you build supporting muscle groups for efficient and natural use of prosthesis during your normal daily activities.
1. You will have an initial evaluation to address your limitations and individual needs.
2. You will then have positional training and learn exercises that will:
3. You will then be fitted for prosthesis.
4. Next, you will receive residual limb and swelling care education regarding:
5. Lastly, you will receive gait training and return to your independent tasks