Luther Hospital, founded by a group of Norwegian Lutheran clergymen, opened its doors in 1908. The hospital served 195 patients during its first year. Today, the hospital is a 304-bed acute care hospital providing Eau Claire and the surrounding community with a number of medical specialties, ranging from comprehensive cardiac and trauma care to a family-oriented maternity program with an intensive care nursery.
Dr. Hans Christian Midelfart, a Norwegian immigrant, along with five other colleagues opened the Midelfart Clinic in downtown Eau Claire in 1927. By the mid-1960s, the physicians needed more space and in 1969, 18 physicians moved to a new building on West Clairemont Avenue in Eau Claire. In 1995, Midelfort Clinic significantly expanded its Eau Claire base of operation by opening a five-floor medical office building attached to Luther Hospital.
In 1992, Luther Hospital and Midelfort Clinic affiliated with the world-famous Mayo Foundation in Rochester, Minn. Luther Hospital and Midelfort Clinic joined to form Luther Midelfort, a regional medical center to meet the ever-expanding medical needs of the Chippewa Valley region.
In 2011, Luther Midelfort changed its name to Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire. The organization has grown to become one of the largest multispecialty groups in Wisconsin, with more than 200 physicians representing almost every medical specialty.
By working together and sharing and expertise that only Mayo Clinic can provide, Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire brings Mayo Clinic to you. Through the power of collaboration Mayo Clinic Health System provides patients with access to cutting-edge research, technology and resources that comes from Mayo Clinic.