Pamela Franz, R.N.
Speaking of HealthFollow the rainbow to your healthApril 12, 2016
We’ve all had those aha! moments, but what does that really mean?
An aha! moment is a point in your life when an important insight, choice or decision is made.
When it comes to making changes in our behavior, there are many opportunities to have aha! moments. As we become more aware of our thoughts and how they affect our decision making and our choices, we then can experience some of these moments, which can be life altering.
Here are just some of the ones I have experienced on my journey of practicing healthier behaviors. Maybe you can relate to some of these or have had your own aha! moments where you may have thought a lightbulb just went on:
- After making excuses in my head about why I couldn’t exercise, I realized that I could have been done exercising if I had just started, instead of spending the time making excuses.
- After finishing a long walk, I realized that the cookies that were calling my name would wipe out the hard work that took 45 minutes to do in about a minute flat. I decided they were not worth it.
- After starting my day with making a high-calorie food choice, I realized that I still had a big portion of the day to make good choices, and that one bad choice does not mean I have to keep making more bad choices. My day ended up just fine.
- After eating the rest of the pie so it wouldn’t go to waste, I realized that I was just becoming a human trash compactor and threw out the leftover cake that no one but me was eating. I immediately felt more in control of myself.
- After a stressful day at work, I told myself I needed chocolate and then realized that the chocolate was not going to make me feel better about the situation. Instead, I would be adding guilt to my stress. I ate a banana instead.
These are just a few of my aha! moments. You may have experienced similar ones yourself. If not, start paying attention to those little thoughts, because they could change your life.