OWATONNA, Minn. — Want to protect yourself and your family from the flu? Get vaccinated. In an average year, up to 40,000 Americans die from influenza and its complications, and over 250,000 are hospitalized. Your best protection against the flu is an annual vaccination.
Mayo Clinic Health System makes it easy and convenient for you to receive a flu vaccination. Daytime, evening and weekend appointments are available at most locations. Call your local clinic to schedule your appointment today.
- Blooming Prairie: 405 E. Main. Call 507-583-7225 for an appointment.
- Express Care – Faribault: Crossroads Professional Building, 1575 20th St. NW. Walk-in only.
- Faribault: 924 First St. NE. Call 507-333-3300 for an appointment.
- Owatonna: 2200 26th St. NW. Call 507-451-1120 for an appointment.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends annual flu vaccination for everyone over the age of 6 months. The best way to prevent getting – and spreading – the flu is to get the flu vaccine. It is especially important for people who meet these criteria to get vaccinated:
Young children under 5, and especially those under 2 years
- Pregnant women
- People 65 or older
- People who live with or care for others at high risk of developing serious complications including caregivers of people with chronic medical conditions
Each year's seasonal flu vaccine contains protection from the three or four influenza viruses that are expected to be the most common during that year's flu season. The vaccine is typically available as an injection or as a nasal spray. While there is an FDA-approved nasal spray vaccine that consists of a low dose of live but weakened flu virus, the CDC no longer recommends nasal spray flu vaccinations because during the last three flu seasons, the spray has been relatively ineffective. This year the vaccine is available as an injection only. Mayo Clinic Health System will not be offering FluMist.
The cost of seasonal flu vaccine is covered by most insurance plans. Mayo Clinic Health System will bill insurance or accept payment.