RED WING, Minn. — Want to protect yourself and your family from the flu? Get vaccinated. In an average year, up to 40,000 Americans die from influenza and its complications, and over 250,000 are hospitalized. Your best protection against the flu is an annual vaccination.
Mayo Clinic Health System makes it easy and convenient for you to receive a flu vaccination. Early and late appointments are available at most locations. Call your local clinic to schedule your appointment today.
- Alma, Wis.: 204 South Main St. Call 608-685-3241 for an appointment.
- Cannon Falls: 32021 County 24 Blvd. Call 507-263-6001 for an appointment.
- Ellsworth, Wis.: 530 West Cairns St. Call 715-273-5061 for an appointment.
- Lake City: 500 West Grant St. Call 651-345-1100 for an appointment.
- Plainview: 275 First St. SW. Call 507-534-3169 for an appointment.
- Red Wing: 701 Hewitt Blvd. Call 651-267-5000 for an appointment.
- Wabasha: 1202 Fifth Grant Blvd. W. Call 651-565-4571 for an appointment.
- Zumbrota: 1350 Jefferson Dr. Call 507-732-7314 for an appointment.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends annual flu vaccination for everyone over the age of 6 months. The best way to prevent getting – and spreading – the flu is to get the flu vaccine. It is especially important for people who meet these criteria to get vaccinated:
- Young children under 5, and especially those under 2 years
- Pregnant women
- People 65 or older
- People who live with or care for others at high risk of developing serious complications including caregivers of people with chronic medical conditions
Each year's seasonal flu vaccine contains protection from the three or four influenza viruses that are expected to be the most common during that year's flu season. The vaccine is typically available as an injection or as a nasal spray. While there is an FDA-approved nasal spray vaccine that consists of a low dose of live but weakened flu virus, the CDC no longer recommends nasal spray flu vaccinations because during the last three flu seasons, the spray has been relatively ineffective. This year the vaccine is available as an injection only. Mayo Clinic Health System will not be offering FluMist.
The cost of seasonal flu vaccine is covered by most insurance plans. Mayo Clinic Health System will bill insurance or accept payment.