Vestibular Rehabilitation includes treatment of vertigo and balance issues related to the vestibular system (or inner ear problems).
Possible causes of balance problems include:
- Muscle imbalance / weakness
- Decreased range of motion
- Joint pain
- Vestibular (inner ear) problems
Mayo Clinic Health System in Red Wing has two physical therapists, Kerry Finne and Emily Flaaen, with advanced training in vestibular rehabilitation evaluation and treatment.
People with balance issues, a history of falls and certain types of dizziness, may benefit from a comprehensive physical therapy evaluation to determine the cause of balance problems and dizziness.
- BPPV: Benign Proximal Positional Vertigo
- Unilateral Vestibular Hypofunction / Vestibular Neuritis
- Bilateral Vestibular Hypofunction
- Cervicogenic Dizziness
- Motion Sensitivity
- Abnormality of Walking and Balance
- History of Falls
Physical therapists evaluate a person’s strength, range of motion, gait and balance as well as perform specific tests of the vestibular system.
- Vestibular rehabilitation
- Balance retraining
- Gait training
- ROM, flexibility, strength and endurance exercises
- Patient education
- Fall risk reduction
Vestibular Rehabilitation treatment requires a provider referral for Physical Therapy (PT) to evaluate and treat, and is covered by most health plans.
To schedule an appointment, please call the Rehabilitation Department at 651-267-5450.