Doctors Albert J. Olson and Franklin C. Anderson founded Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna in 1948. They based their practice on the principle that the physician serves the community both in the preservation and in the restoration of good health. The original office was located at 113 West Main Street in downtown Owatonna. In 1953, Dr. Donald H. Honath, a general surgeon, joined the practice.
In 1956, the three physicians built a new medical building located at the 134 Southview Street site. Family practitioners were sought to meet the ever-increasing need for medical services in Owatonna. Many remodeling and building projects were completed through the years as the practice continued to expand.
In 1970, the Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna was incorporated and formed the Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna, P.A. As a result, the physicians of the Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna, P.A., owned the building and the practice.
On June 1, 1990, the clinic broke ground for a three-story addition that expanded the building by 20,000 square feet. The addition was completed in the spring of 1991. This building was designed to house 25 physicians. At that time the clinic had specialties which included internal medicine, dermatology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, and OB/GYN, with consultants in allergy, cardiology, oncology and ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat).
Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna joined Mayo Clinic Health System in March 1997. Today, Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna is a comprehensive medical clinic offering outpatient services. The clinic emphasizes general and more specialized health care services for the entire family.
While physicians at Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna meet the vast majority of patient's healthcare needs in Owatonna, a team of visiting Mayo Clinic consultants and nearby medical centers also see patients locally, providing convenient consultation and care.
Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna opened a second location on 26th street May 1, 2002. The new location provides space for internal medicine, ophthalmology, dermatology, and Mayo Clinic consultants in cardiology, oncology, neurology and rheumatology as well as Mayo Clinic Kidney Dialysis.
On July 31, 2007, Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna broke ground at the 26th Street Clinic site for an expansion project that now connects to the new Owatonna Hospital creating Mayo Clinic Health System in Owatonna.