You, as the patient, play a vital role in helping make your care safe. We encourage you to become an active, involved and informed member of your care team. Here are some easy ways to increase the safety of the health care you receive:
- Give information - Share with your health care team any health conditions, allergies and all your medications.
- Get information - Ask questions and make sure you understand the answers. Don't worry about being embarrassed about the questions you ask.
- Bring a friend or family member - This person can speak up for you, ask questions and listen for you.
- Wash your hands - It's the best way to protect yourself against germs that can lead to infections.
- Know what to do - When you leave the medical center, make sure you understand all your instructions so you can take care of yourself at home.
The following are tips and ways to become an active member of your health care team when hospitalized:
- Ask questions.
- Ask all health care workers who have contact with you if they have washed their hands.
- Bring a friend or relative with you to help ask questions and understand the answers.
- Don’t be afraid to tell your doctor or nurse if you think he/she has confused you with another person.
- View our short hospital admission video to further understand what to expect during your stay.
Patient Safety Resources