After successful completion of the 12-month postgraduate year-1 (PGY-1) Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato, you will be a proficient, independent general practitioner capable of providing broad pharmacotherapy knowledge to a multitude of patient populations.
As a pharmacy resident, you will:
- Develop expertise, knowledge and skills in a broad range of therapeutics through direct patient care, transitional care and operational activities.
- Collaborate with colleagues in a regional health care system with access to all Mayo Clinic resources.
- Contribute to an interdisciplinary health care team offering patient specific interventions to optimize drug therapy outcomes.
- Provide drug information to the interdisciplinary team in an environment based on teamwork and mutual respect.
- Enhance your skills in conducting clinical research, medication use evaluations and quality improvement initiatives.
- Strengthen your communication skills by presenting formal and informal lectures, writing a professional manuscript, and leading interdisciplinary discussions.
- Develop pharmacy practice management and leadership skills through active participation in various committees, establishing policies, and understanding the pharmacy practice philosophy.
- Network with fellow pharmacy residents and practicing clinicians through professional membership and conferences.
The PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato began in 2009. The program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). Graduates of the program have obtained positions in community hospitals, academic medical centers, and have completed additional postgraduate (PGY-2) training.
As a resident, you will have direct access to skilled and dedicated preceptors and mentors to optimize the learning experience. Preceptors are certified by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties and meet qualifications outlined by ASHP.
Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato is a Joint Commission-licensed, 272-bed, community hospital located in Mankato, Minnesota. Training for this residency is primarily conducted in Mankato with additional experiences at regional hospital and clinic sites, and Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Learn more about us here.