Occupational therapists work with you in order to help restore your upper extremity function after an injury or operation. Therapist will also help you prevent further deterioration caused by arthritis and soft tissue disorders.
Patients who would benefit from individualized hand therapy include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis
- Digital amputation
- Distal radius fracture
- Dupuytren’s disease
- Phalangeal fracture/dislocation
- Tendon transfers
- Post-op trigger finger
- Stiffness or decreased hand/wrist range of motion
Services are provided with a focus on:
- Preventative, non-operative or conservative treatment
- Managing acute and chronic pain
- Desensitization and sensory re-education following nerve injury or trauma
- Developing individualized home exercise programs to increase range of motion, dexterity, and strength
- Splint fabrication for prevention or correction of injury
- Functional training with a focus on daily life skills
- Conditioning prior to returning to work
1. Initial evaluation (60 minutes)
- Your specific diagnosis will be determined. A treatment plan that includes your specific interventions and home exercises will then be formulated.
- Your range of motion, strength and functional abilities will be assessed.
- You will address any limitations you are having and discuss your individual goals.
- You will then address the effects your problem has on your daily life. Our ultimate goal for you is to return to your desired level of function.
- A splint will be created for you if needed.
2. Follow up (30 minutes)
- Your progress and pain level will be evaluated.
- Modalities (heat, ice, ultrasound, paraffin, iontophoresis) will be provided for you if needed.
- Manual therapy (edema massage, joint mobilizations) will also be provided for you if needed.
- Your splint(s)/device(s) can be adjusted if needed.
- If indicated, your exercises/activities will be progressed.
- Functional activities related to daily living or work
- Your readiness for discharge from therapy will be evaluated based on your progression.