Physical therapists will work with you to improve your safety and enhance your muscular functioning while walking.
Patients who would benefit from gait/balance training include:
- Patients who have had total joint replacements
- Patients who have fallen
- Adults and children with neurological conditions including CP, spina bifida, MS, ALS, Guillain-Barre, post-polio syndrome
- Patients who have had a stroke
- Deconditioned patients
- You will be fitted and trained for the use of gait aides (canes, walkers, crutches)
- A therapist will then determine if you have a need for orthotics.
- Your gait pattern will be analyzed. The therapist may suggest correction exercises that will strengthen specific muscles you need for gait mechanics.
- You will be educated on the proper posture for stability and efficiency.
- Your therapist will also address muscular tightness or limitations you have.