Reframing Client Conversations: Motivational Interviewing in Action
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Thursday, September 29, 2016
Mayo Clinic Health System - Franciscan Healthcare
Marycrest Auditorium – 2nd Floor, Hospital (St. Francis) Building
700 West Avenue South, La Crosse, WI 54601
As healthcare professionals, we are always working with clients to make changes—sometimes readily, but change is hard and more often we encounter hesitation and resistance. Motivational Interviewing (MI) is a helpful way of interacting with clients who may be ambivalent about making behavior changes that enhances motivation to change. This workshop is intended for providers who are already familiar with MI and will provide a review and overview of applications of MI for half of the day. The second half of the workshop will be focused on skill building practice with the goal of being able to apply skills in client interactions by the end of the workshop.
- Review motivational interviewing key concepts in terms of spirit, principles, skills, and strategies
- Apply the Stages of Change model in order to address ambivalence/resistance
Skill Development Objectives:
- Practice communication strategies to reduce client resistance and resolve ambivalence (OARS)
- Practice motivational interviewing strategies (decisional balance, rulers, and change plans)
- Develop ability to recognize client readiness, and to negotiate a specific change plan that is acceptable and appropriate for the person.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop will be geared toward health care providers who interact directly with patients to make behavior changes, including but not limited to Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Therapists, Social Workers, Nurses, Nurse Educators, Case Managers, and Behavioral Techs.
Debra A. Murray, Psy.D.
- Director of the Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling program at Viterbo University
- Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor
- Intermediate Clinical Supervisor, Prevention Professional
- $65 Individuals not employed by Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare
- $50 Employees of Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare
- $45 Students
- The fee includes instruction, materials, certificate of attendance, continental breakfast, lunch, and afternoon refreshments.
- There will be an additional $15 charge for each APA, NBCC, and UW Extension Continuing Education Unit certificate requested.
- Registration deadline is September 22, 2016
View the conference brochure for speaker biography, agenda, educational credits, cancellation instructions, or the form used to register and pay by check.
Register online (paying with a credit card)
Please contact Cathy Pupp at 608-392-4172 with questions regarding this conference.