The Mayo Clinic Health System Student Nurse Internship Program in La Crosse, Wisconsin is an opportunity for nursing students to participate in a learning and work experience. The program provides ten students an opportunity to practice what is learned in the classroom in a hospital setting. Under the direction of an R.N. preceptor, the intern will further their understanding of professional nursing to include the passing of medications. In addition, we offer shadow days and weekly meetings to enhance the student experience. Students who complete the internship program receive preference for employment upon graduation.
To apply for a nursing internship position, students must:
- Be enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program and in process of completing their junior year
- Or enrolled in an Associate’s Degree program in the process of completing the Adult Process and 2 semesters of experience
- Be available to participate June through August.
- Provide proof of certification in basic life support/cardiopulmonary resuscitation (BLS/CPR).
- Satisfactory academic record
- Meet job-related health requirements
The internship is located at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse, with students working in a variety of specialty areas:
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Family Birthplace
- Emergency and Urgent Care Center
- Intensive Care Unit
- Medical/Surgical Services
- Day Surgery
The 10-week internship begins in June and runs through August. Interns are given a full time position (64 hours every two weeks) to work the full 10 weeks and are assigned to a specific unit. Hours and shift rotation depend on the designated preceptor’s schedule and will include evenings, nights and weekends. The internship position is based on a competitive salary basis.
Applications will be accepted from October 15, 2015 through 4:30 p.m., December 18, 2015.
The application process is electronic. To apply for a student nurse internship position, please complete the Student Nurse Intern Application.
You will be expected to provide these materials at the time you submit your application:
- Resume: your resume should highlight your educational background, employment history and volunteer activities, such as involvement within your community and with committees, student nurse associations, and professional organizations.
- Transcript: it can be official or unofficial*
- Answers to essay questions*
- Areas of interest form*
- Faculty reference form
- Please ask two clinical faculty members from your nursing school to complete the Faculty Clinical Reference form. Upon completion, he or she should save a copy of the completed form and email it to LASNIProgram@mayo.edu.
These forms must be received by 4:30 pm on December 12, 2014. Two faculty references are required per applicant.
* Please add these items to the "upload attachments" section of your profile
Any applications submitted without all of these required documents will be considered incomplete. Please contact the Student Nurse Intern coordinator with any additional questions.