Mayo Clinic has a long history of providing care to patients regardless of their ability to pay. Our primary value is "the needs of the patient come first."
Mayo Clinic provides services to meet the needs of people who are unable to pay for care. These services include:
- Helping people find sources to fund their care, including opportunities to work with outside agencies
- Using fair and consistent collection practices that are in the best interest of all parties involved
- Providing individualized payment plans, medical services at reduced rates or at no cost — based on your ability to pay
- Providing emergency care to stabilize you, regardless of your ability to pay
Mayo Clinic has developed a process for directing people to alternative sources of funding for their medical care. Mayo Clinic determines your need for charity care based on financial information and the medical services needed. The financial information includes your individual and family income, assets, employment status, family size and availability of alternative sources of payment. Read Mayo Clinic's Charity Care Policy (PDF) for further information.
If you're experiencing financial hardship, please contact Patient Account Services at (800) 603-2500 (toll free) or arrange to meet with one of our financial counselors to discuss options such as a payment plan or government assistance.
- Walk-In Customer Service Centers are available on the La Crosse Campus.
- Clinic Building - 8 to 11:30 a.m. and Noon to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Hospital Building - 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1 to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
Our staff may ask you to complete a Mayo Clinic Financial Statement form (PDF), which will help us evaluate your eligibility for charity care. Note that until your financial statement has been reviewed and approved by our financial counselors, you'll be financially responsible for your medical care. Completing a financial statement may not absolve you of your full financial responsibility with Mayo Clinic.
Please return the completed financial statement and all required information to:
Patient Account Services
Mayo Clinic Health System Franciscan Healthcare
700 West Avenue South
La Crosse, WI 54601
Once your application and required documentation is reviewed, Patient Financial Services will provide you with a timely response. You will receive a call or letter from our office.