Dragon Boat Festival
Team Captain Information
Team Captain Checklist
Recruit 20 to 24 paddlers and 1 drummer. You’ll want to race with a team of enthusiastic paddlers who are able to commit to a full day of racing on July 16 as well as the required one-hour practice session.
Create a team identity. Including name, team bio, team cheer or song, and team tent. Your team spirit may even earn you an award at the closing ceremony!Register your team no later than June 17. Be sure that each team member is at least 16 years of age and that together you fulfill requirements for your division.
- Corporate (minimum of 10 female paddlers per team not including the drummer)
- Community (minimum of 10 female paddlers per team not including the drummer)
- Breast Cancer Survivors (all survivors)
Collect teammates’ email addresses and phone numbers for the purpose of completing the required team roster and for future communication with your team.
Schedule your free team practice. Watch your email for practice information and important festival announcements! As a team captain you’ll have access to our online practice calendar. You’ll be required to create a user profile including a password to login each time you access the site. Once there, review all available practice times and reserve a time that works well for all teammates. Practices will be available on a first come, first served basis. Your first practice is free and will occur during the two weeks leading up to the festival. Additional practices can be purchased using a credit card and scheduled as early as late May.
Have all teammates complete the team waiver at the first practice. All paddlers, your drummer and any alternates will complete the team waiver at the practice site during your first practice. The team captain will be responsible for getting any paddlers not present added to the team waiver by July 8. Team members not listed on the team waiver will not be allowed to practice or race. Completion of the waiver will be verified.Review and share the following important practice information with your team. It’s important that all paddlers know the basics of dragon boat safety and practice expectations in advance.
Join our Facebook group. Receive important updates, deadlines and other information regarding the festival. Please encourage your teammates to also join.Prepare a boat lineup before your first practice.
- This seating chart can help. The steersperson and/or coach will also help you if needed.
- Select a drummer that is small in stature (someone under 125 lbs. is ideal) and has a loud, enthusiastic voice.
- Put lighter, more experienced paddlers or paddlers with good timing and self‐control in the front; heavier, stronger paddlers in the middle; and lighter, taller paddlers with good endurance in the rear.
- Balance the boat side‐to‐side and front-to‐back as best possible (you don’t have to ask for paddler weights, although some captains do).
- On race day, plan to have your team line up in the marshalling area 30 minutes ahead of your scheduled race time.
Submit your team bio no later than July 1.
Turn in your completed team roster no later than 5 p.m. on July 8 to LABigBlueDragon@mayo.edu. No changes can be made to the roster after this date – no exceptions. Team captains will be notified in advance of race day if anyone on their final roster has not completed a waiver. Rostered paddlers who have not signed their team waiver will not be able to practice or race.
Facilitate all communications between the festival organizers and your team. Share important information with your teammates as soon as you receive it. Encourage them to visit our website for all the details.
Provide a tent or canopy with seating. (And decor! Don’t forget those team awards!) This is where your team will relax and get psyched up for your races. Feel free to bring water to keep your team hydrated.
Enjoy the festivities on Friday, July 15
- 5-8 p.m. - Team Tent Set-up
- 6 p.m. - Opening Ceremonies
- 6:30 p.m. - Youth Races
- February 15 - Early bird registration begins ($700)
- April 1 - Early bird registration ends (regular registration fee is now $800)
- June 17 - Last day to register
- May–July 12 - Schedule water practice(s). The start of water practice in May is dependent on river conditions.
- July 1 - Last day to submit team bio
- July 8 at 5 p.m. - Last day to make changes and submit a final team roster. All waivers must be completed before race ready confirmation is granted. Race ready confirmation is needed for packet pick-up.
- July 10-14 - Race ready confirmation will be sent to team captains
- July 15 5-8 p.m.- Packet pick-up and team tent set-up
- July 16 7:15 a.m. - Team captain’s meeting
- July 16 8 a.m. - Races begin. Paddles up!