Mayo Clinic Health System — Franciscan Healthcare is committed to providing expert, whole-person care to all who need healing. As part of that commitment, the organization works to improve the health of the communities it serves by advocating for healthy eating and lifestyles — and by offering funding to local and regional programs, initiatives and events that make a positive, lasting impact on community well-being.
One committee reviews all requests
The Community Investment Committee reviews funding requests on behalf of four groups associated with Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare. These groups invest more than $300,000 annually in healthy living initiatives, programs and activities in the communities they serve. The groups include:
- Franciscan Healthcare Auxiliary (includes Tiny Tim gala event funds)
- Franciscan Healthcare External Affairs
- Franciscan Healthcare Foundation
- Health Tradition Health Plan
The Community Investment Committee meets quarterly (in January, April, July and October) to review and recommend funding requests based on the following funding request guidelines.
Funding request guidelines
To request funds from Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare or any of the groups represented by the Community Investment Committee, please review the information below carefully and then complete the online form.
1. The Community Investment Committee reviews requests to fund programs and sponsors events. The Committee is unlikely to consider requests to support:
- The needs or goals of an individual or small group
- Organizations with little or no local presence
- Ongoing operations, rather than specific programs
- Budget shortfalls
The Committee is unable to provide assistance related to patients' medical bills, but may provide in-kind donations for fundraisers, such as door prizes or auction items, as appropriate.
2. Requesting organizations must complete the funding request form (link below) and confirm non-profit status via completion of IRS Form W-9.
3. The committee normally considers one request per organization per year. Please combine and prioritize requests for multiple programs or events held throughout the year in a single submission.
4. Funding and in-kind requests must be consistent with the mission of Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare. In addition,preference will be given to requests that:
- Directly benefit people in the communities served by Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare
- Enhance health and well-being in those communities
5. Priority Funding: Since 2015, a greater share of our Community Investment funds have been directed toward activities that address unmet health needs as identified by the five-county Community Health Needs Assessment known as the Community COMPASS. The most recent COMPASS report identified the following unmet health needs:
- Chronic Disease and Contributing Factors
- Mental Health and/or Substance Abuse
This shift in fund allocation is due in part to requirements in the Affordable Care Act that all not-for-profit hospital’s participate in a Community Health Needs Assessment every three years, identify unmet needs and develop a plan to address them. This information is then reported to the IRS annually.
6. The committee gives additional consideration to requests submitted by Mayo Clinic Health System - Franciscan Healthcare employees who serve on the board of directors of the requesting organization.
7. Mayo Clinic Health System - Franciscan Healthcare values equal opportunity and diversity and supports only programs and organizations that share those values.
Submitting Requests for Funds or In-kind Support
Request funds from Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare. The Community Investment Committee reviews requests on a quarterly basis. Requests must be received by the first day of January/April/June/October to be considered during the quarter that follows. Please allow 60-90 days for decisions. Funding requests related to capital projects may take 3-6 months to process and require personal consultation. Contact Kate Dunnum at 608-392-8200 with questions regarding the request process.
Request an in-kind donation from Mayo Clinic Health System – Franciscan Healthcare. Donations may be requested for functional purposes and/or for fundraisers such as door prizes or auctions. Examples may include, but are not limited to: pens, pencils, plastic bags, gift baskets, water bottles, fleece blankets, health-related books, etc.). Requests will be reviewed on a weekly basis. Call 608-392-7740 if you have questions regarding the process.