The technology at HERS is the most advanced, including:
- Dedicated ultrasound - A dedicated breast ultrasound unit gives patients same-day access when required and allows physicians to perform ultrasound-guided biopsies.
- Digital mammography - This decreases the amount of radiation the patient receives and improves image quality.
- Digital breast biopsy - This allows patients to lie down during a biopsy which increases comfort during the procedure. In addition, patients experience less breast compression and a shorter procedure time.
- Vacuum-assisted biopsy - This state-of-the-art technology removes a larger tissue sample for a more accurate diagnosis with the same small incision. This system also allows for pain medication to be injected simultaneously which reduces the need for oral medications and sedations. In addition, a small clip can be placed in the breast tissue for future reference which can be used for ultrasound-guided biopsies.
- CAD (computer aided diagnosis) - Also known as second look, this technology helps radiologists detect breast cancer earlier by highlighting characteristics commonly associated with breast cancer.
- Bone densitometry - A simple, painless screening test, bone densitometry is used to detect osteoporosis in both women and men. HERS provides this service, along with a separate waiting area for men who require the test.