Teamwork is everything in dragon boat racing. A perfectly synchronized team will almost always beat a stronger, but less coordinated team. Dragon boat racing is a great sport for men and women of all ages and athletic ability.
- Teams are comprised of 20 paddlers and a drummer, plus a steersperson (provided by the race for each boat). Each team can include up to four additional alternates on the team roster. All paddlers must be age 14 or older.
- Paddles, personal flotation devices (PFDs) and other equipment are provided to each team member age 18 and older; however, paddlers can wear their own PFD. Paddlers age 14 to 18 must provide their own PFDs.
- Boat practices for local teams will be held prior to race day.
- All team members must sign a waiver prior to practice sessions
- Our course is approximately 250 meters.
- Every team is guaranteed three races.
- Teams are expected to arrive one hour prior to the first qualifying race at 10 a.m. Racing can sometimes get ahead or fall slightly behind schedule; therefore, all team members are encouraged to stay in the park throughout race day.
- Opening ceremonies will follow the completion of time trials, and a hospice remembrance ceremony will occur mid-afternoon.
- Detailed race schedules will be sent to team captains one week before race day.
- Each team must have a captain. Review the Organize Your Team tips for a list of captain duties and tips for a successful team.
- The race will communicate regularly with team captains. Team captains are responsible for communicating with their teammates.
Registration and Fees
- Community team registration will be open March 1-31. Two options are available:
- Guaranteed boat: A limited number of guaranteed teams are available for $1,500, payable upon registration.
- Lottery boat: Teams may also enter a lottery, and if selected, the registration fee is $1,000, payable by April 17. Teams will be selected by lottery on April 3.
- Registration fee is nonrefundable.
- Registration fee includes a minimum of three races on race day and T-shirts for all team members. In addition, all registered teams will receive one free practice session prior to race day.
Half Moon Dragon Boat Festival home