History

  • 1958 — Construction on hospital began.
  • 1956 — Hospital campaign began.
  • 1959 — Thirty-bed hospital opened. Cost: $375,000; employees: 30 full-time and number of part-time staff. 3,000 people toured facility for March 15 open house
  • 1966 — 50-bed nursing home completed. First ambulance purchased.
  • 1968 — New wing added to the hospital, including a pediatric ward and intensive care unit.
  • 1973 — Barron and Chetek clinics merge.
  • 1974 — Four-bed coronary unit designed. New laboratory built. Added new X-ray room. Second ambulance purchased.
  • 1976 — Physical Therapy services began. Three gunmen rob the hospital.
  • 1977 — Occupational Therapy and Respiratory Therapy added.
  • 1978 — Physicians merged with Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire. New clinic in Cameron opened.
  • 1982 — Remodeled hospital and built new clinic in Barron. Name was changed from Barron Community Memorial Hospital to Barron Memorial Medical Center.
  • 1983 — Mobile C.T. scan added. Prairie Farm clinic opened.
  • 1986 — Night Clinic started; appointments available weekdays, 6-9 p.m.
  • 1988 — Maplecroft Retirement Community, a 40-unit retirement complex, was completed. Physical, Occupational, Respiratory Therapy departments were remodeled. New ambulance garage built.
  • 1992 — Day Clinic services began. Purchased mammography unit.
  • 1993: Cardiac Rehabilitation program added. Medical center signs management contract with Luther Hospital and Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire.
  • 1995 — Expansion project completed: 7,000-square-foot addition to hospital and clinic. Barron adds new exam rooms, treatment rooms and office space to support additional family practice physicians and several specialty staff. New CT scanning facility. New gift shop. Business and Accounting departments relocated. New front entrance. Medical center contracts with Mayo Clinic Health System – Home Health & Hospice to provide hospice services.
  • 1997 — Obstetrics Department is remodeled with four labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum rooms — three with whirlpool tubs. Open house held in October. Mayo Dialysis Center opens in location of former employee entrance.
  • 1998 — Barron Memorial Medical Center joins Mayo Clinic Health System and is renamed Barron Medical Center – Mayo Clinic Health System. Barron Medical Center achieves Accreditation with Commendation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations. Staff complete one full year without a single lost workday due to work-related injuries or illnesses.
  • 1999 — New Pulmonary Rehabilitation program added.
  • 2001 — Construction begins on new clinic in Cameron. Hospital and clinic laboratories combine into one integrated lab.
  • 2006 — Barron Medical Center becomes a provider-based facility, making the clinics departments of the hospital. New digital mammography unit and CT scanner added.
  • 2007: Name changes to Luther Midelfort Northland – Mayo Health System. New clinic in Rice Lake opens.
  • 2011: Name changes to Mayo Clinic Health System – Northland.