Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato is hosting its annual Bike Safety Rally at the River Hills Mall on Thursday, May 3, from 3 to 7 p.m. The event promotes the health and safety of bike riders through fun, educational activities and the sale of bike helmets -- which have the retail value of $40 -- for $14. Additional bike safety events will take place throughout southwestern Minnesota during the month of May.
Bike Safety Rally locations and times include:
- Mankato: Thursday, May 3, from 3 to 7 p.m. at the River Hills Mall
- Waseca: Wednesday, May 9, from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Waseca County Fairgrounds
- New Prague: Saturday, May 12, from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Memorial Park
- Fairmont: Thursday, May 17, from 4 to 7 p.m. at Grace Lutheran Church
- St. James: Saturday, May 19, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at St. James Federal Ban
Mankato’s event will feature a bike helmet sale, bike obstacle course, safety education, children’s activities and prizes. Bicycle helmets are recommended for anyone over the age of one and sizes will be available from infant/toddler to adult.
"Head trauma is a leading cause of serious brain damage and complications, and this type of injury is often very preventable,” says Dan Dockham, M.D., Emergency Department physician at Mayo Clinic Health System. “By wearing a helmet when riding a bike or rollerblading, you are decreasing your chances of serious head injury significantly.”
This year’s event is sponsored in part by Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE), Hot 96.7, Mankato Clinic, Mankato Department of Public Safety, North Mankato Police Reserves, Piepho Moving and Storage, River Hills Mall and Scheels.