Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance

Posted by Rodney 'Chip' Gay, C.S.C.S.
September 14, 2012

Although exercise is an integral part of managing body weight, it is not the end-all answer. Your inaugural trip to the treadmill should be accompanied by a healthy eating plan.

When you begin your journey to reach a healthier body weight, diet is 90 percent of what sheds those excess pounds. The other 10 percent is exercise. Upon reaching your optimal body weight, those percentages completely flip. So, to sum it all up, exercise is 10 percent of weight loss and 90 percent of weight maintenance. But you need a good combination of both diet and exercise to make a difference. Eat plenty of fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean sources of protein. Skip the junk food.

Also, determine how many calories you take in each day and then use exercise to burn more than you ingest. It seems simple, but it takes discipline. You can burn anywhere from 75-125 calories by walking or running a mile, or by biking two miles.

There seems to be so many different exercise routines claiming to end the days of bulging bellies. The truth is basic healthy eating and moderate exercise is everyone's best option.

Nielsen Media Research says Americans watch about 2,000 minutes of TV a week. Cut that down to 1,850 by exercising 30 minutes a day, five days a week. It will work wonders for your health and your indented couch cushions won't mind.

<< Part 1: The Internal Benefits of Exercise | Part 3: Being healthier sounds great! How do I start? >>

Leave a Comment

Comments (0)

Leave a Comment

Enter the Letters and/or Numbers Below

Online Resource Center

Focusing on specific health conditions to give you the information you need to participate in your care.